Ever Changing List of My FAVORITE Etsy Items!

Monday, January 31, 2011

Let's Talk Some Dirt

I hate cleaning. I love a clean house, but I hate cleaning. No, wait, I hate cleaning with two toddlers who are jumping on the bed I just made, and walking in the crumb pile I just swept, and pulling down all the clothes in my closet during an exhilarating game of "hide-and-seek." Most days my house is kept "picked up," but on a weekly basis I never get all the "cleaning" done I would like. This doesn't always bother me, but sometimes it does. And usually ever few weeks on a Sunday evening (I like to start new things on Monday) I plan a whole weekly cleaning schedule that I will never accomplish.

But the Word says, "She looks well to the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness" Proverbs 31:27, so here I am, ready to try again.

Let me say also that this guy (see below) hearts a clean house big time. If the house was clean and the laundry was done (did I say I hate cleaning? I really meant, I hate laundry!) he would be the happiest, hottest doc in all of Texas. Gotta love a guy in some waders and a hat!

So, what's the plan? Great question. I have in the past subscribed to FlyLady.com, and she is great, but despite her best effort she overwhelms me a bit and she will BLOW up your email! Seriously, she sends 10-15 emails a day, it's crazy. I have also, in the past done a "Monday-vacuum, Tuesday-dusting" etc., etc. But this week I am going to try something different (for me). I found the original schedule here and just tweaked it to fit my house/life.

Daily:
Make bed (Harper makes her own bed)
Clean up kitchen after all meals
Pick up toys (with kids) before nap and bedtime
One load of laundry (Monday-Friday)

Weekly:
Monday- Kitchen and Laundry Room
Tuesday- Living Room and Playroom
Wednesday- Master Bedroom and Bath
Thursday- Kids' rooms and office
Friday- Upstairs and downstairs bathrooms

So here's Monday's Schedule- Kitchen and Laundry Room:
Clean sink
Disinfect counters
Wipe down appliances
Clean out fridge
Dust table and chairs
wash high chair liner
Sweep and mop floor
Vacuum/wash rugs
De-clutter top of washer and dryer
Wipe down washer and dryer
Empty laundry of all non-laundry items (tends to be a "catch all")
Sweep and mop floors

I would love for this to take 30 minutes or less, but with my children constantly asking me for a snack, or   to read a book or screaming and running the house, I am sure it will take three times that long. I'll let you know! And if all is well and I haven't quit yet, I'll post Tuesday's cleaning schedule tomorrow.

Also, please don't think that I think you care what my cleaning schedule is. However, I have spent a lot of time looking for someone to just "tell me what to do," or give me ideas of how to keep this toddler filled home clean, maybe you feel the same way...maybe this will help. Maybe you want to tell me what to do! Always open for suggestions!

5 comments:

  1. Good luck! I also use flylady and the program is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the schedule!! i hope it works for ya! i have to agree that with small kids it makes for CONSTANT cleaning! i find that keeping a basket at the bottom of the stairs is a great way from keeping my main floor clutterd with things that have found their way down. then around 3-4 times a day or whenever i have headed upstairs to do something i bring it along and put everything back. also running the dishwasher everynight and emptying it every morning right away, helps from ever having dishes stacked up in the sink. i also do all my upstairs vacuuming,and wipe down their bath while the kids play in the bath. that way i know it is going to get done at least 3 times a week. it seems like the little things you keep up with make a huge difference :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke- I love the the vacuuming and bathroom cleaning while the kids take a bath and the basket idea. I usually just stack stuff on the stairs, which really does nothing but make the stairs cluttered, so the basket would be a good alternative. It is about all the little things adding up. Why can't I like cleaning? I wish you could give me some of your organization and cleaning skills! My husband would be SO happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph, It has taken me 2 days to do your "monday cleaning," whew, don't know if I can keep up with you! Love the post and the great ideas! Thanks for sharing your fun blog on FB, can't wait to learn more from ya. Hope you are enjoying Texas!
    -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kel- I barely get anything done on a regular basis besides basic survival! You have three kids!! I can not even imagine trying to do all we do with one more little person! Crazy! I love reading your blog by the way! I'm going to comment on something, so you know I stopped by! Thanks for reading!!

    ReplyDelete