Ever Changing List of My FAVORITE Etsy Items!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Recipe: Someone Else's Recipe

So since Pinterest came into my life, my family has been blessed (my word, not theirs) with trying some new recipes. Now, every mom knows that trying a new recipe can be dangerous. While my family does not like eating the same thing over and over again, I don't like making something new only to have everyone tell me that don't really like it (BOO!) But this recipe I am going to share with you today is a HUGE winner in this house!!

Before we get to the recipe let me share a little bit about the way we eat (or the way I try to get my family to eat).
1. We drink raw milk or at the very least low pasteurized, non-homogenized milk. Since Texas has very little options for raw dairy, the rest of our dairy is organic (which I limit because of the high cost of organic food).
2. We have low to no processed food in the house (the exception is cereal for the Hot Doc. I can't seem to get him to break his cereal habit, and my homemade granola did not go over as well as hoped.)
3. I am completely grain free except for brown rice. The rest of the family eats oatmeal and soaked and sprouted bread (I buy a loaf of Ezekial bread about every two weeks)
4. We love FAT! I cook with Olive Oil, grass fed Butter and Coconut Oil.
5. We eat grass fed and pastured meat.

All of this is done on a budget. The Hot Doc works his General Surgery Resident buns off, but he doesn't get paid like it! We definitely make cuts in other areas to be able to afford higher quality food, but I also try to find recipes that are on the cheaper side! Here are a couple tips:

1. Buy whole chickens.
2. Buy less meat and dairy. The only thing I really don't ration is milk. Don't get me wrong, our raw milk is like gold, and I will definitely make you put your cup back in the fridge if you don't finish it all, but you can drink as much as you want!
3. 1-2 meals a week are meatless. Think eggs and beans. They are inexpensive, good for you and fill you up!
4. Don't buy things made with industrial oils (like, canola, sunflower, safflower, vegetable, etc.), added sugar, high fructose corn syrup or soy. This eliminates pretty much all processed food, including Organic processed food, which is not worth the cost.

Okay, more information than you wanted to know on this Tuesday? My apologies. Here's the recipe!

Photo from Nourished Kitchen
Bacon, Chicken and Green Beans! It's made with Bacon (are you sold yet?), coconut milk (amazing!) and many more wonderful, whole ingredients. Don't be afraid when it tells you to cook your chicken, onions and garlic in the bacon grease. Just make sure you get nitrate and nitrite free bacon (organic if you can afford it, but it's okay if can't) and feel good about feeding your family natural, preservative free, whole food!

Now go to this amazing and informative website, Nourished Kitchen, and get this great recipe for Bacon, Chicken and Green Beans!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment